Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
11lpmz6.jpg

Casey

I'M A GAY SON!
Nov 10, 2003
You know what I love?

Right after Mordin sings his song he just stares at you for a few seconds, awkwardly.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gvdf5n-zI14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I'm not necessarily hating, I thought ACIII looked good.

The Animus is still a stupid plot device, the same story could be told without that thing, it just cheapens the experience. Revelations and Bloodlines also kinda fonked it up. If it was AC -> ACII -> ACIII, I'd be hyped.

Oobs

meh...
Dec 16, 2010

The Animus is still a stupid plot device, the same story could be told without that thing, it just cheapens the experience. Revelations and Bloodlines also kinda fonked it up. If it was AC -> ACII -> ACIII, I'd be hyped.

100% agreed

scrappy

Floormaster
Mar 9, 2011

i completely disagree

at first glance the animus does seem like a silly sci fi thing, but it gives a very interesting way to look at the story. it lets the game acknowledge itself as actual history so it allows for very cool and unique storytelling and narrative moments that i love

also, if ezio's story would have ended with II i wouldnt have as strong a connection to him as a character. there was still so much of his history to tell and if they went right into III there would have been just too many questions unanswered both for ezio and the rich history of the AC universe. his growth as a character over 3 games is one of the best in all of video games. storywise i love pretty much every installment of the AC franchise from games, to movies to comics.

and bloodlines is the psp game starring altair. lol

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Sure sure, but let's just have Desmond unraveling this plot by reading books or historical accounts, the Animus takes me out of the Ezio/Altair/Connor's time period. Flashbacks could accomplish all that the Animus does and be less annoying.

I dunno, I just don't think you can milk games like you could in the old days. Mega Man games were rehashed to death, but some of their charm was the cheesy stories.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
I think Assassin's Creed III looks awesome (which I was not expecting at all).

The animus doesn't bother me quite as much as it does Logan, but I do have a minor gripe with it. It really doesn't add anything to the fiction of the setting or drive the narrative cohesion in any meaningful way.

The plot would make more sense and generally flow better if they focused on a single character as opposed to going back and forth in time. The series could have served the exact same purpose by tracing Desmond's Bloodline. Play as Altair, do shit ---> Generations later, Ezio builds on what Altair accomplished---> Generations later, Connor builds on what Ezio accomplished ----> Generations later, Desmond builds on what Connor accomplished, etc...

scrappy

Floormaster
Mar 9, 2011
Sure sure, but let's just have Desmond unraveling this plot by reading books or historical accounts, the Animus takes me out of the Ezio/Altair/Connor's time period. Flashbacks could accomplish all that the Animus does and be less annoying.

I dunno, I just don't think you can milk games like you could in the old days. Mega Man games were rehashed to death, but some of their charm was the cheesy stories.

i guess....but theres something about the animus i like. the sci-fi nerd in me loves these bullshit sci-fi devices that make unrealistic shit happen. like source code, primer and 12 monkeys.

and that seems true too. ever since games got more developed and in depth, gamers expect so much more than they did back in the day. people used to love sonic just running across the screen aimlessly. now it seems nothing he can do is right.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Jay said it better than me. I still want to play 3 now though.