News Gamer Handles Radio

News

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I'm going to try to release a streaming radio station sometime this week for our website.

Plans right now are to have a flash player on the main site to play the content, as well as have the option to use winamp external or something to play the stream.

Logan and I did some testing on it last night, and for the most part it worked ok except it kept randomly stopping the stream on our ends, but was still playing fine on the server side. We will probably do another test run with more people in the next few days and see how that goes.

The station will only be video game music, with current games and old games on it. I plan to switch to different kinds of music during the holiday seasons. We also can take requests and vote on which songs are not played anymore.

Any suggestions should be posted in this thread for now.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
o FUN

could it be like video game music that's been reorchestrated or something? like distant worlds music for FF or the turnabout orchestra music for Ace Attorney!

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Sounds cool! I have a collection of videogame covers (both well known like The Minibosses and NESkimos, as well as less known artists) that I could share if you want. I believe the collection is about 800 tracks.

Edit: 802 tracks, to be precise. Track list if you're interested: http://pastebin.com/jRx7XYhM

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
good LORD.

If this proves to work successfully, then we might have special times where we do remixes/covers. Like saturday evening from 6pm-12am or something - sort of like that guy in animal crossing stage in super smash bros brawl.

Last night me and Logan tested it again for about an hour. I lowered the data rate and between the two of us, we used about 18mb of data. Still got randomly disconnected and I'm not sure if it's a server issue, or a shoutcast issue.

Casey

I'M A GAY SON!
Nov 10, 2003
Fuck yes!

If you need content, I have a bunch of music and music remixes at work on the "Super Pimp" external harddrive that the IT guy set up.

Yep, I'm the only other one with access.

I can't wait to tell Mike!!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
what.

Bayli, Logan, and I have been running this for last hour and a half and I just got disconnected for the first time. Neither of them have reported any disconnects yet.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
If nothing else messes up, I'm going to be running a public test tonight between let's say 8pm and 10pm EST (4 hours from this post).

I'll post the URL/flash player in the thread when it's up.

Last edited:

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Ok radio server is up. Url is Gamer Handles if you want to open the URL in winamp/windows media player/etc.

Otherwise the script below should work:

http://www.gamerhandles.com/radio.php

If the playback stops at anytime, you should be able to reconnect right away. Sometimes you get booted off. Please leave any comments/errors you have.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
The flash stream is choppin up big time for me. Works fine in da amp.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Working for me!

Edit: In VLC that is, didn't bother trying the flash player.

Last edited:

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Flash players seem to work fine on first song it connects too, but after that it stutters alot

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Come on guys, I need some feedback. I think only four people were listening last night unless I missed someone. But did you guys have any problems, or songs that messed up? I noticed the FF6 songs, messed up a ton, so I'll probably be removing them for now.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I hadn't noticed any problems with the songs, but I wasn't listening extremely closely the whole time it was streaming.

But, I would recommend taking out the smaller sound clips. I found that the shorter clips and sound bytes were a little jarring and didn't transition very well to and from the actual tracks.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Was actually doing that right now. Also I'm removing the ID3 tags and renaming all the files so you can better tell what game they are from since artwork is disabled from sending to clients.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Ah, I was thinking that renaming them would be a good idea last night but forgot about it. Is the plan to eventually have this thing streaming 24/7? Cause I would love to listen to this all day at work.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
I didn't have any problems, but I just woke up and decided to try to listen and it wouldn't connect! I'm guessing you're messing with it, but yeah!