The little known Vidya gaem facts thread.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
This thread is dedicated to digging up neat little facts about video games your peers may not be aware of. I'll start;

Originally, the Fire Temple in the Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time included psuedo-Islamic chants. While the entire song is almost impossible to identify and translate, at some point in the song you can hear "bismillah" which means "in the name of Allah" in Arabic.

[video=youtube;OOmOzWdHzHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmOzWdHzHU[/video]

The song was later changed by Nintendo in an updated version of the game and all chanting was removed from the song
[video=youtube;0GvxjTFRTc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GvxjTFRTc8&feature=related[/video]

In addition to this, the Mirror Shield in the game originally contained the Islamic crescent moon symbol, which like the chanting in the fire temple, was later removed.
Before:
Mirror_Shield_%28Ocarina_of_Time%29.png

After:
Mirror_Shield_%28Master_Quest%29.png

rman

The Grapist!!
Mar 8, 2011
To continue with the Zelda theme:

In the early '90s, Nintendo Power had a contest for a lucky winning gamer to get his name and his own secret room in the upcoming Zelda game, A Link to the Past (SNES). A guy named Chris Houlihan won and got his name added to a secret room that is normally entered via a "glitch'. Though this room was removed from the GBA port, it remained in the Wii Virtual Console release, as you can see here.

They say it was only discovered when someone was analyzing the LttP ROM, but I remember accessing a room just like that by sprinting at one of the bushes in the video. Though I can't say I remember it saying his name as I NEVER read what those squawk boxes had to say. Plus I was distracted by the....oh yea, SHIT TON O' RUPEES IN THE ROOM!!

[video=youtube;KXp124VgFrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXp124VgFrw[/video]

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
He's right handed in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, too. Maybe he's just ambidextrous!

Also, the dungeons in the first Zelda game apparently spell ZELDA.
28uh8r4.jpg

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Anyone remember that hidden chest behind the mysterious wall at the bottom of the sea in Super Mario Galaxy!?

scrappy

Floormaster
Mar 9, 2011
in the original script of mgs2 the AI that was talking to raiden at the end was named JFK, as opposed to GW earlier. i think this was retconned in mgs4 tho.

rman

The Grapist!!
Mar 8, 2011
When creating Out of this World, the developer Eric Chahi was up against quite a few issues. In attempts to get his way he resorted to the "infinite fax loop"

Eric Chahi, the creator of moody landmark adventure game Out of This World (aka Another World), once fought with his publisher, Interplay, via fax machine. Things got so bad at one point he attacked Interplay's offices with the dreaded "infinite fax."

Chahi explained what an infinite fax was during his Out of This World post mortem at GDC while delving deeply into the creation of his game. According to Chahi, when Interplay signed on to bring the PC version of Out Of This World to the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, it asked for a few changes. Interplay wanted the game to be longer. Chahi agreed, but wound up making the already difficult adventure game even harder.

Interplay also wanted Chahi to change the game's music. He refused.

"This lead to a fight by fax," Chahi said, which ultimately lead to a stalemate. "I decided I'd use a new strategy. This consisted in sending an infinite fax. It's a long string of paper that is attached to another piece of paper with strips of adhesive tape."

He even went so far as to suggest the following as the box art:

profanation.jpg

In the end nintendo even found the original bath house scene offense as it included "butt cracks" and eventually censored it.

medium_ootw_censorship.jpg

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
They make Link right handed for Wii games because most people are right handed and will hold the remote in their right hand.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Did you know that Mario wasn't always supposed to be an Italian plumber? Originally, he was going to be Scandinavian, and named Enok, and be a miner by trade. Originally he wasn't climbing to save Pauline from Donkey Kong, but climbing through a mine shaft attempting to get out before the air supply depleted. Pauling was a canary, and there was no Donkey Kong, just boulders tumbling down the shaft that needed to be avoided. And instead of flames coming from the oil barrel, they were deadly carbon monoxide and methane clouds.

Chris

Sweet Little Lies
Jan 15, 2011
Did you know that Mario wasn't always supposed to be an Italian plumber? Originally, he was going to be Scandinavian, and named Enok, and be a miner by trade. Originally he wasn't climbing to save Pauline from Donkey Kong, but climbing through a mine shaft attempting to get out before the air supply depleted. Pauling was a canary, and there was no Donkey Kong, just boulders tumbling down the shaft that needed to be avoided. And instead of flames coming from the oil barrel, they were deadly carbon monoxide and methane clouds.

You're high.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006

You're full of shit, but I laughed.

BaZaRiaH

Castle Guard
Apr 24, 2011
the game super mario bros 2 was originally a japanese game dooki dooki panic attack and featured the characters sonic the hedgehog, aero the acrobat, chester cheeter and matt hazard..

nah seriously there was a game called great gianna sisters, released back in 1987, which gained a great deal of trouble for it's distributers as the game was very similar to nintendos super mario bros... the game got pretty much withdrawn from sale after a couple of days

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
the game super mario bros 2 was originally a japanese game dooki dooki panic attack ...

:jordan:

I think you mean Doki Doki Panic, and it had characters from a Japanese TV series with an Arabian Nights type setting.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
Here's a fact:

The Duke Nukem Forever demo sucks.