Softmodding the Xbox

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
All of you who own an Xbox, I highly suggest you soft mod it. Its not too difficult, and there is little risk of damaging the console. And the rewards are sweet.

If you've read my journal, you know that I've successfully soft modded my own xbox. Now I can do all sorts of fun things with it. And also, the dashboard (menu system) is fully skinnable, so I downloaded lots of cool skins, including a juicy Salma Hayek one, and a wicked awesome Yoda one.

Apps I have:
dvdx2
A great DVD playing program, now I don't need to buy the remote. Has all standard DVD player controls, using the Xbox controller.

xToolBox
A file manager to easily browse the contents of my xbox. Also has a 'DVD Copy' function, allowing me to copy a DVD, or Xbox game, directly to my xbox for future funnage.

Xbox Media Center
A great program to play music, watch movies, get the latest weather, and lots of other stuff. I mostly use it to listen to music.

Surreal64
Three N64 emulators in one! Its got a nice GUI, and you can save custom settings for each game. Also, it displays the game case for nearly every game (all the ones I have, anyway). I made a CD that has 42 N64 games on it, that way the roms don't take up space on the xbox, and I can play them right from the CD.

Games I have:
ESPN NHL 2K5
I rented this game, but I feel I didn't get my enough time with it. So I copied it to the xbox! Don't worry, I'll delete it soon ;)

Amphetaminex
A neat little side scrolling game someone made with 99 levels, its pretty fun.

BreakoutX3D
Its breakout, obviously.

MineXweeper
A minesweeper clone.

Xpong
PONG! TWO PLAYER MADNESS!

Starwars 1.3
A neat 3D homemade space shooter. Pretty good graphics, for a freeware xbox game. Fly an X-Wing and shoot down some TIE fighters.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
you can find all the tutorials and info you need at:
www.xbox-scene.com

But most of these files are downloaded from Xbins' ftp. There is a tutorial there on how to connect to it.

The easiest way to soft mod the xbox (which you need to do if you want to install these programs) is to get an Action Replay device, an official Microsoft Memory Card, and the original copy (not platinum hits, and nothing on the cover saying "game of the year") of either Mech Assault, 007 Agent Under Fire, or Splinter Cell. I found the easiest was Mech Assault. If you do have or get all of these things, I would be happy to help you. Believe me, it'll be much easier with my help then trying to figure it out from the tutorials.

EDIT: Oh yeah, theres a list of everything available from Xbins ftp at www.xbins.org (you can't download from this site though)

Last edited:

jr27430

:)
Nov 10, 2003
Sweet, I'll check it out soon. So, with some of these software we can copy some Xbox Game titles, with out a disk? Yeah, I might need your Help bro. Sounds like you know alot about this stuff. The only I know how to do is use CDR to copy my MP3's to the Xbox! lol :D