Mirror's Edge: Impressions

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
It's really pretty! It's also really hard! I think the controls (other than lb) are pretty tight. However, this whole trial and error thing takes you out of the experience somewhat. I'll talk more later.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
This game is really disappointing. Imma rant here for a second, so enjoy.

The art style in this game is really unique. Especially on my TV, the colors really stand out and give it a cool look. This quickly becomes your disdain when you walk into a warehouse comprised solely of BRIGHT YELLOW AND WHITE. Seriously, my eyes are fucking hurting. Playing this game for any extended amount of time is like staring into the god damn sun.

Another gripe is how vague the game can be at times. They help this with the so called "Runner vision", but sometimes, it's not nearly enough. This is rendered COMPLETELY obsolete when you enter a room entirely colored red. Seriously? Thanks for the help assholes! I can really distinguish the special object marked RED in this room comprised of only RED objects. There's a feature that let's you hold b and the game will point you in the right direction, but it usually doesn't do diddly dick. For example, I'm using it right now and it's telling me I need to press a button. If I possessed the ability to walk through walls, then this would be helpful. This is actually one of the better ones too. They're usually so damn vague you're better off jumping around till you see something red. It's basically me asking Joe how I can find where he lives and he just points me to the direction of the atlantic ocean.

Then there's the combat. Not much to say other than It doesn't work that well. Sure it looks cool, but it's frustrating. I'm trying to get the achievement where you beat the game without shooting, so that might be compounding my problem. I would go further in depth, but you really only need to think about it in context. If a SWAT team armed with shotguns ran into a 90-pound asian female, how do you think that would work out? Yeah.

Overall, this game seems like it could be fun, but only if you took time to master it. At the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to beat the fucker. I'll reserve a final ruling for when I beat it.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Playing the demo with the route you need to go painted in red made it seem like I was just chasing a graffiti guy who randomly painted things in red. And that's against teh lawz!!1

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Wow that was pretty cool.

So I did beat the game, and it attempted to redeem itself. A couple of chase sequences were fucking brilliant, but then the game throws you into the same situations all over again. For a game that urges you to separate foes, it's really difficult to do so when it spawns 5 all together and their AI refuses to branch off. The combat is pretty frustrating, but the rest of the game does work well if you can shrug off some of the trial and error bits.

There were parts that reminded me of the first matrix where Neo was running from the agents at the end. You're hauling ass, slamming through doors, all as bullets fly behind you. It's all mad badass. You hop in the elevator to see them chasing you and the door shut in their face. AWESOME. Then other parts reminded me of the scene in the matrix where Agent Smith just absolutely beats the tar out of Morpheus in that bathroom.

So overall:

Parkour -> GOOOOD
Combat -> BAAAAD

if you can get into time trials and stuff like that, it's certainly worth playing. the story isn't long however so I can't recommend a buy.

:tubs: :tubs: :tubs: :roger:

out of

:tubs: :tubs: :tubs: :tubs: :tubs: