Majora's Mask Opera

MBulteau

Deku Scrub
Jul 6, 2014
Hello, I'm M. Bulteau, and I'm working on a large scale opera based on Majora's Mask.

I've been telling of my project to the Zelda community since November 2011, but it's always good to find new forums. : )

Here's the latest demo:

As stated, these are just demos (and the oldest ones need redoing, especially on the account of not being operatic). They only serve as a sort of portfolio to give an idea of what it could be like musically. Nothing is set in stone, especially not several instances of lyrics which exist as placeholders for now.

Visually, shadows are just a way I thought of to keep things mildly interesting visually for the demos, instead of just audio.

The first draft of the whole score is currently at the beginning of Act III. The structure is supposed to be one act for each day, and each act lasts for about an hour. With the Overture and the Prologue, I don't think I'll be able to make the whole thing any shorter than 3h15/3h30.

In this story, Link is absent from Termina altogether. The focus is instead on Kafei and the recovery of the Sun Mask, with the Happy Mask Salesman's plight as a parallel story.

You can read more about it here, at the Majora tab. The blog has even more information.

Cheers!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I have to admit, I really liked this.

The shadows wouldn't be part of the final project? That's a shame if so, as I think that adds a lot to the presentation and "mood". I would love to see the final version of this regardless.

Thanks for sharing!

MBulteau

Deku Scrub
Jul 6, 2014
I'll be updating from time to time. :)

There are weekly Q&As every Friday at my YouTube channel, the first of which already answers your shadow question:

In a nutshell, it's not that shadows aren't a nice effect to use, the thing is that they're not the greater part of a stage production. They are useful for some effects, but nothing else.