Zelda Wii U

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
This game is probably like 4 years away at least since Skyward Sword was just last year. Anyways, let's speculate on what the game will be like or what we want it to be like.

I suppose with the de-facto Wii U controller being so bulky, we won't have the Skyward Sword-esque controls anymore. Unless they set it up where you would need both controllers to play the game. For instance, having the regular Wii MotionPlus remote for regular gameplay, and the "tablet" controller for inventory,maps,etc. Of course this would mean having to put the Wii remote down anytime you wanted to swap items which might be annoying, and would also mean it wouldn't support remotely viewing the game on the tablet. Not sure how they are going to handle this controls on the next game. I'm not sure which I prefer, as I liked the accurate sword motions, but found it a bit too touchy at times. Regardless, the controls in Skyward Sword was what I was hoping for when they first announced the Wii and Twilight Princess.

Graphics will be interesting this time. They showed off that demo at E3 last year, but there could be another graphics swap when it comes time to release the game, like with the realistic GameCube demo and then Wind Waker. Not sure how I feel about the graphics as I'm not gungho on realism as I used to be. I preferred Skyward Sword cel-shaded look over Twilight Princess for example, but that mainly had to do with Twilight Princess pixelation which I doubt will come into effect now that the next Zelda should be in 1080p. This is a toss up to me, because honestly I don't really care that much after I learned the error of my ways with Wind Waker.

MUSIC. Skyward Sword differed from the past Zelda soundtracks with more orchestrated tracks. I'm hoping for a mix up of the two. I want the overworld theme back from Majora's Mask, but a lot of the music in Skyward Sword was great. I particularly enjoyed Fi's and the final bosses's themes.

Dungeons. I hope the next Zelda doesn't follow Skyward Sword's model of dungeon progression. The dungeons in Skyward Sword was the weakest part of the game for me, and even though each time you went back to the dungeon was vastly different, it still felt somewhat repetitive. Fighting that big worm boss and Ghirahim 3 times each didn't help much with the repetitiveness either.

Size - The overworld in Skyward Sword felt really small to me. Twilight Princess was a huge game by comparison and had much more to do. Flying around was ok and I didn't mind it nearly as much at the boat in Wind Waker, but it still isn't as good as running around with Epona. Twilight Princess also easily had the best transport system of any of the Zelda games, with the amount of teleports it had. I'm hoping to see a return to that.

Multiplayer - This is a touchy subject because on one hand, I would love to play through the entire game with a co op partner, but at the same time this could easily ruin the game or take away from the main single player adventure like what happened with Mass Effect 3. Maybe a more toned down approach to the multiplayer should be more desirable, like being able to fish with a friend, or play the sidequest games (like the shooting gallery and bombchu bowling alley from OoT) but have it compete against friends to see who get the most points or whatever. But single player campaign should come first and suffer no sacrifices if they do implement some kind of multiplayer.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
I saw a 2014 date but I'm sure that's not accurate or anything. As far as controls, aren't Wii controllers compatible with the WiiU? If so, I'd hope they'd add an option for motion controls because for the most part, Skyward Sword worked really well and I had a lot of fun with it. Hopefully theyll do something new with the graphics like they did with Wind Waker's cel shaded graphics and the kind of oil-painting look that SS had. I'm not too concerned about that, I'm sure it'll look great!

I can't imagine them not having orchestrated music with the next installment. SS has a great soundtrack so I have confidence they'll keep it up.

Yeah, hopefully there won't be just 3 areas just like SS :s I know it changed/you went to new places each time you visited but I would've liked more variety... Actually, I read in an article a few months ago that the size of one dungeon was as big as OoT's Hyrule Field.

As far as other things are concerned, I don't think I'm quite ready for co-op. MAYBE a separate story for co-op or something? Idk. The multiplayer on one of the DS games (I cant remember if it was Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks) was kinda silly. I mean it was fun I guess but there really wasn't a need for it. I hope that they stick with Epona for traveling because god damn I'd much prefer it over flying/sailing/whatEVER. I hope there isn't any voice acting, but just the cute noises each character made like in SS.

Bottom line is that I trust Nintendo will make it great. I was really skeptical of SS's controls after E3 2010 (or was it 2011?) where it wasn't co-operating with the live demo, but Nintendo pulled through to publish another great Zelda game.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Yes, voice acting. I forgot to cover this. Please have voice acting stay far far away. Besides hating voice acting in about 90% of the games I play, it just adds to production time and costs and more often than not just ruins a game for me (Final Fantasies).

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I can see multiplayer working really well with this, actually. I don't know if any of you tried it but the multiplayer in Wind Waker was great, with the second player using a GBA and playing a minor supporting role. I imagine it would work one of two ways, depending on how they decide to handle the control scheme. If you play using the new gamepad, player two could play as Link's support fairy using a Wiimote+. You could do small things like maybe distract enemies, grab distant rupees / hearts, and look for secrets or something. I'm sure they could come up with some really fun items that could be used in tandem or something.

The other option, and the one I think would play better, would be if you play the game using the Wiimote+ and nunchuck combo using the same setup as SS. Player two could then use the new gamepad in a support role very similar to the tingle tuner from Wind Waker. The second player could see the surrounding map, including hints / secret areas. They could drop bombs on enemies, tap locations to add a marker for player one to see on screen, etc. This setup would allow even greater tandem items, maybe a force field that player two could draw on the tablet to trap enemies, create bridges, etc. Lots of possibilities here.

The only catch would be to balance it enough that one can play through the game along without missing anything.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
Oh, that's true! Kind of like Super Mario Galaxy, but more than just flicking starbits and whatever. Yeah, I could get behind that. Now online co-op... If they wanted to do another installment in Four Sword adventures, I think that'd be neat.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I get that Wii U in a week. OH BOY!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
MAYBE. If BB&T stop holdin up my PAYMENT.

Oh yeah, blame Bayli for lyin to ya.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
For sayin that they charge you when you first make preorder.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
well i didnt knowww plus he said he'd rather wait anyway so whateva

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Now I don't have any Wii u frands :(

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
The Wii U will likely be hard to find this Sunday. "All I can say is that the response has been phenomenal," Nintendo EVP of sales and marketing Scott Moffitt told GamesIndustry.biz, "and we're getting, especially in the higher priced deluxe set, that one's selling out incredibly quickly."

However, Moffitt has reason to believe the shortages won't stretch on forever as they did with the Wii. He said that more Wii U systems will be in stores at launch than Wiis were in 2006. "And, second, our replenishments will be more frequent this holiday time than during the Wii launch," he added.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Hey BB&T finally pushed that payment through.

Order Contents:

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Deluxe Set Quantity Shipped: 1

:oface::reggie::happymarcus::wesker::bojangles::fastdance::hulkamania::ellis::carlton::millionaire::jax::hotdog::puddy:

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
After playing a lot of Wii U, I want the next game to be co op.

Lulu

Kupo!
Nov 9, 2011
uhhh i do too. It would be really fun and neat on the Wii U!

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
Maaan I still don't want the main story to be co-op. LoZ is something I like to experience alone and that means I'll be stuck with shitty AI otherwise. But like a co-op side story mode? Yeah that'd be cool.