Win a Free Copy of Dissidia: Final Fantasy Giveaway Thread

Discussion in 'Events' started by Tarvis, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Tarvis

Tarvis Yeah, that's right. Administrator

I agree with that ^ poster

2. Tarvis

hay guys, help us out and digg it!

3. bullbl01

bullbl01 Deku Scrub

I've never really played any psp final fantasy games... never really had a psp, but as soon as I caught wind about this game, I ran out and bought one... with money I didn't necessarily have. =\ It'll totally be worth it tho!

4. ginrai

ginrai Deku Scrub

yahz..japanese is really difficult to learn. it has many ways of saying the same thing and the same thing can be expressed differently based on the recipient of the message. really complicated stuff o_O

btw, read the news tat dissidia got a low score...who cares anywayz? its a great game imo and i'm sure most pple will still rush to the store to buy it =)

5. HoT_HiPPiE

HoT_HiPPiE [Insert something cool]

I have to say VII. One of the only turn-based RPG's that I actually had fun playing. The characters were some of my favorites, the story was deep. Most importantly, I became attached to the main character, Cloud!! A first for me in RPG's! I remember losing Cloud, and having to play as Tifa. That was okay. Then Cid, that angered me! The materia system is my favorite magic system to date. The only thing I don't understand is how Sephiroth descended into madness. Crisis Core didn't explain it well, or at all for that matter...

6. Logan

Logan Administrator

[​IMG]

7. bullbl01

bullbl01 Deku Scrub

*SPOILER ALERT*

Sephiroth's decendance into madness is not that hard to understand. In Nibelheim, he found out that he was born to become a monster. Since he was born, he knew absolutely nothing about his mother except what Hojo told him, which was that his mothers name was Jenova. This, however, was untrue. Lucrecia was his mother. He was only injected with Jenova cells while he was still in Lucrecia's womb so that he could become a super soldier. When he found this out, he Locked himself in the Shinra Mansion's basement and read all about the Jenova Project. This infuriated him, and that's how he was driven to madness. I mean, that's a lot to take in! Look at it from his perspective. He found out he's been lied to his whole life and was born to become a monster. That's enough to drive anyone off the deep end. Well, after he came out of the Shinra Mansion, he massacred the town of Nibelheim and the rest is history.

And now, what I really wanted to say...

Another great game in the Final Fantasy series is Final Fantasy: Tactics. I liked quite a few things about it. Like, I've always been fascinated with the zodiac, and to see them personified into horrific monsters who's a$$ I had to kick was pretty awesome. Another thing was that, this game wasn't one that you could win just by being strong enough. It was one that you had to play with a strategic mind. If you just went in and tried to muscle your way through, you probably didn't get too far before you got stuck. And, honestly, I think that one of this game's themes is to believe in what you believe in and do what's right, no matter who's against you. I mean, Ramza was labeled a heretic by the Church of Glabados and was pretty much made the enemy of the entire land of ivalice, just because he found out the Churches secret. And in the end, he didn't recieve any recognition for saving the world. He was still looked down on, and one of his most loyal friends was burned at the stake for telling his story. He did what was right based on what HE believed. Which is definately one of my personal philosophies on life.

*END SPOILER*

8. HoT_HiPPiE

Thanks, bullbl01, maybe I'm over thinking it, but Angeal was created similarly and he kept his sanity. Maybe that was because Angeal knew his mother.

That's actually great, Logan! I'll admit that a LOT of things in VII are taken from other games, not just FF. But FF VII was the one that gave me a new found respect for FF and RPG's.

I forgot to mention the Sci-Fi aspect in VII, another reason why it's my favorite. It wasn't based in a world with different kingdoms with different crystals.

9. Logan

Logan Administrator

I've just always found it funny that you can look at a youtube comment page or something of the like and see fanboys just absolutely raging on each other about FF6 vs FF7. Especially since they're so similar.

10. HoT_HiPPiE

I think VII suffered from what many franchises suffer from when they move to a different console. The producer-developer-whoever got worried the game may have changed so much in some way that the fans may actually not like it. I use Phantom Hourglass as an example. And Metroid Prime Corruption. VII went 3D, had a Sci-Fi setting, and other things. somewhere in there, Square decides to keep some, maybe a lot, of ties to a previous FF (VI) that the fans enjoyed. It worked too! Can't say the same for Phantom Hourglass...

11. Tarvis

I think my main problem with FF6 is that the story doesn't seem to focus on one character, and is more about all the characters, and there a lot of DEM. I spent my time trying to figure out who the main character was when I played it.

And really, if you want to be accurate. Most of the Final Fantasy stories are pretty similar. The ones that aren't like ff7 or ff6 are about warriors going to save the crystals that keep the world in balance, such as the first final fantasy, final fantasy 3, and hell even ff9 ended up being kind of like that.

FF7 ended up being a darker game, I don't know if that had to do with the fact that ff6 was limited by the SNES, or what, but I found Kefka to be more of a humorous enemy than Sephiroth was. Especially when you got scenes like this:

[​IMG]

12. Logan

Logan Administrator

Wut.

FF6 takes time to flesh out all the characters, but clearly Terra is the main protagonist. She's the first character you play as, has the biggest connection to Kefka/the Empire, and to the Espers. The core story pretty much revolves around her.

I also was annoyed by VII because Sephiroth really didn't do anything to your party directly. You'd catch him here and there and he'd make you fight Jenova or something, but then he sits his ass in a cave for 60% of a game. Then you finally get to him and he has like 2 lines and then you just kick the utter shit out of him. I thought it was kind of unrewarding, especially combined with the just SHITTASTIC ending.

I think he get's a lot of attention just because he stabbed Aeris. Which is neat I guess, but it wasn't the first time a main character had died in a video game. Hell, it wasn't even the first time it happened in a FF game.

13. Bayli

Bayli Weeaboo Queen Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with Logan. Terra was definitely the main character of 6.

And I think Kefka is a better villain than Sephiroth.
    Kefka murdered like a whole castle by poisoning that wah-wah!

14. Tarvis

Yeah I realize that now, but it took me a while the first time I played FF6 to figure out who the story was really about. Because every 15 minutes you'd either be getting a new member to your huge party, or being switched to a different party/person.

I never thought much of Aeris/th's death, at least as much of those rabid fanboys did. I'm pretty sure I didn't know it happened before I saw it, but I may be wrong. Regardless, that ain't why I appreciate him.

Sephiroth got points with me because he loves to spend his time mentally tormenting his opponent, or in this case Cloud. While he never directly attacks your party, except when he gores Aerith, he does hang around. I mean he makes Cloud pawnch the fuck out of Aerith, give him the black materia twice, and generally makes Cloud piss his pants about even attempting to face him. It also helps that he apparently can't be killed.

It was a nice change of pace at the time for a villain to actually have a reason to be a villain, instead of just being power-hungry obsessed. PLUS HE GOT A HUEG SWARD - it's just too bad it fucking keeps changing length depending on where and when you see him. I mean come on, in Crisis Core it's like 8 feet long. But in Dissidia it's like 30 feet long. Advent Children it seems to change sizes during the fight too. Can't forget his theme song which has been redone over 9000 times!

Besides the ending which is justfuckinghorrible, the game was, I WOULD SAY A PRETTY GUD ONE. The materia system remains my favorite final fantasy system just because of how simple it was. None of that junction/sphere grid crap. The plot twist was also pretty kewl and I still like that scene when I see it.

15. HoT_HiPPiE

Well, I can't really argue in favor of Sephiroth here, but he's still my favorite. Don't know why. But I'm curious, if I might could I get your opinions on Genesis and/or Angeal? I have mixed feelings at the moment...

16. Tarvis

I didn't like Genesis simply because he kept repeating lines from the poem. After the 1000th time of him saying "Gift of the Goddess" while holding a purple apple, it was kinda grating. As a villain, I don't know. It would be like if Kadaj was the final bad guy of Advent Children. I mean the guy was a failure of an experiment way before you even fight him, and is shown not to even be able to match Sephiroth's strength during that one FMV fight. It just seemed kind of anticlimactic to fight him, as he was weakened by degradation even further by that point in the storyline.

Angeal was ok, I guess he served his purpose in the storyline as Zack's Mentor. The only thing I didn't get is how he mentions several times that he doesn't use that buster sword because it brings about wear tear and rust. Zack even says it to Cloud at one point, but yet Zack used it all the god damn time, and so does Cloud in FF7, so that made no sense to me.

17. HoT_HiPPiE

Cloud even says that he doesn't ever see Zack use it. There was a short scene in the DWM/DMW (I forget which) where Zack says he uses the side of it... That's gotta be a lie...

18. Tarvis

lol, I remember that scene. It's right after Zack has to use it ALOT to keep Cloud and Tifa from being attacked on the way from that reactor at Nibelheim. It made me laugh when he said it.

I think I remember the game telling me he only used the blunt side, which I guess meant the side or maybe the top, but I always saw him use the sharp side on the bottom. Same with Cloud, it makes no sense to me. I want to assume it was just a bad translation job, but how could they mess that up?

19. HoT_HiPPiE

Square Enix is notorious for (leaving things out/the way they) for the sake of it being cool. The idea of Zack continuing the wear and tear tradition is cool and speaks to his character. Zack actually USING the blunt sides wouldn't have been as cool.

20. Bayli

Bayli Weeaboo Queen Senior Member

I hated Genesis so much. ARGH. And I hated Hollander with his stupid sandals, and chasing his ass around all the time.

Angeal was meh. I mean he's tolerable, but ehhh. Nothing special.