Site Updates

• Admin
It's been about two weeks since the last update, so I better make a post so people know we are still working here! Do be warned, it's about to get a little bit technical.

We've been working mostly on improving website performance in regards to speed and load times, as well as search engine optimization and other areas that are important to a user's experience. Some things we have done over the past two weeks:
  • We've changed the Facebook and Twitter buttons to only load when your mouse hover over the icons as they had a pretty big impact on loading times for the website.
  • We removed the flash from the main page due to it being a big no-no in regards to mobile. Also unnecessarily creates CPU load on PC's as well.
  • Removed the Topsites due to the script itself being a pain to code around due to it's reluctance to accepting includes, which the website uses quite a bit of. Possibly returning in another form soon.
  • Changed the right column to be included in the main website block. Still not happy with the layout of this, so more changes will be made there.
  • Added the poll to a rotating timer so it will get update with new questions on a weekly basis.
  • Made various tweaks and enhancements to the main theme, as well as made fixes and other adjustments to the styles added in the last update.
  • Added a latest posts box to the right column so users don't have to go to the forum first to see which are the latest posts.
  • Greatly enhanced the mobile theme for the website. Now responds better to different screen sizes. Still a quite of bit of work to be done for this, however.
  • Changed the way pages are loaded on the site - which created quite a few bugs in the process. We think we've eradicated all of these, but feel free to contact us if you find any more.

Yeah, so besides a few other minor things here and there, that is the gist of what's been going on behind the scenes for the past couple of weeks and what we still have to do. Here are the results of our work so far from a couple of tests that we use on the internet.

speedtest.png

websitereport.png

The big elephant in the room of course being when will we get the content and guides for the games done. Believe me, it's coming. I have most of the Ocarina of Time section done, but there are still some things I would like to improve before uploading. I am also tinkering with a couple of ideas that will allow our guides to be more interactive, and be more helpful than normal guides. So look forward to that.

Last edited:

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Man you still do a lot of work on this site. And I'm pretty sure I never contributed anything meaningful. Oops! To be fair I don't know much 'boot most Zelda games. Know a lot about LttP though! I can 100% that game in about 2.5 hours.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Record that shit up and send to me. Boom, contribution done.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
To be fair, I say "can", I mean "once did, like 4 years ago" so I'd need some practice

I did actually do a let's play of that game on youtube once but deleted it 'cause it was garbage.