Mario Kart 8

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
We don't have a thread for this already?! For shame.

I haven't really been hyped for a Mario Kart game since the Wii version which was a let down for me in some ways, but still not too bad. Mario Kart 8 is starting to tap my interest though since they seem to be going back on some of their changes (power sliding is returning! yay).

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Thank GOD something to finally counteract the blue shell. I heard you could dodge it in earlier Mario Kart games, but I've never been able to do it.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I have a $170 credit at Futureshop here, so I think I'll finally get a Wii U once that bundle comes out. But what should I get as my second game? WW HD seems like the obvious choice, but I've already played WW a ton on the GCN. The wife wants to play NSMBU so I might get that.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I think NSMBU is the best by far in the NSMBU series. That said, it's not a whole lot different than the other NSMBU games. Wind Waker like you said, you've played a lot. But they have made some changes. You can watch our playlist of gameplay videos to see if you are somewhat interested:

Pikmin 3 I also really liked and I've never played Pikmin before - however the game is kinda short. I dunno, if you can't find NSMBU for way cheaper than Wind Waker, then yeah probably best to pick it up over WW.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Pikmin 3 is probably my favorite Wii U game, but yeah, its short.

WWHD is great, but it didnt feel THAT fresh to me. SM3DW was a bit underwhelming.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Here's a question I want to pose. I'm a gigantic Nintendo fan, but I'm also one of the first ones to call them out on their stubbornness. No matter what they say, I definitely feel like Miyamoto has his hands in EVERYTHING first party. Miyamoto was the driving force behind the score for Mario Galaxy 2 and he's deemed that the "Mario sound" it feels.

Listen to that trailer Travis posted and then to the original song they showed a year ago here.

Doesn't the more "video gamey" one feel a lot more appropriate for Mario Kart or is it just me?

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Downloaded over night, and I played one race this morning before getting ready for work. I played Mario Kart Stadium which is the first track in the Mushroom Cup and holy hell is this game gorgeous. I only played on the Gamepad because I was too lazy to turn on TV, but even then everything looked amazing. Played as Toad and he didn't say "I'M THE BEST" when I won which was a major disappointment. Maybe he'll say it eventually.

Game also seemed to load fast as shit compared to most Wii U games? Taking half day vacay today so I can play this UP.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
me and lauren played some coop grand prix last night. it was jsut 50 cc so I didnt really get a feel for it.

it was the usual mario kart on easiest difficulty. get a huge lead, eat 50 blue shells, win anyways.

game is super pretty though, the highlight reel is really cool too.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Let's discuss absolutely worst tracks.

My vote goes towards either Bone Dry Dunes or Piranha Plant Slide.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
testing out attaching screenshot from wii u

Attachments

• WiiU_screenshot_TV_010EC.jpg
    WiiU_screenshot_TV_010EC.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 9