Game: Wii Sports Resort

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
This game hasn't even been released yet, but that ain't stopping me!

The first thing you'll notice when you put in the game is that you are forced to watch a three minute video of how to connect the Wii MotionPlus accessory and jacket, and as far as I know there is no way to skip it. For those curious, it's the same video posted on the internets before.

After you finally get through that, they still have the nerve to show that same screen where it tells you to tighten up the wrist strap. Why is all this needed?

Finally, you'll get to the game and you are thrown into the airplane mode right away, with one of your (random?) Mii's being thrown out of an airplane and you are able to control the direction of Mii('s). Serving as a basic introduction to the controls of the game, it works. You'll notice the controls are indeed accurate as possible and follow your every movement where you twist/spin/or chuck the controller across the room.

Eventually, you'll land on the island and from there you'll start up the main game. There are 12 games to choose from, over the original 5. Bowling and Golf return, however Boxing and Baseball don't, and tennis has been changed to Table Tennis.

The new games are Swordplay, Wake-boarding, Frisbee, Archery, Basketball, Power Cruising, Canoeing, Cycling, and Air Sports. However most of the games have different variations, such as Frisbee has a mode where you throw the Frisbee to your dog to earn points similar to the mode in NintenDogs, and another mode where you try to get closest to the center in a mode called Frisbee Golf.

Swordplay and Archery makes you wish they would use these gameplay ideas into the next Zelda as they accurately mimic your Wiimote in whichever way you are holding and aiming. Both of these modes are a lot of fun, but Swordplay looks like it would get tiring pretty fast.

Swordplay has three modes, one of which you and another opponent (computer or person) fight each other and try to knock each other off the platform you stand on, similar to that one American Gladiators challenge. Another mode has you running through dozens of Mii's swinging your sword to knock them out of your way to reach the end.

In some of the games, the game instructs you to place the Wii Remote down on a steady surface and let the Wii MotionPlus accessory calibrate. I had to this several times in one play through, but it always seemed to be random as some games asked me to do it, and other didn't. I couldn't figure out what makes it do that, but the game also reminds you several times during loading screens that if the Wii MotionPlus messes up to press + and let it calibrate again. The whole thing makes it seem like the MotionPlus is an unstable mess and will break all the time even though I had no problems with it becoming "unstable" - whatever that means.

It's a shame that this game doesn't include online multiplayer as it would be a blast to play with friends without them all being in the same room. However this game is mainly focused as a family game and if you didn't like the original, chances are you won't like this one, let alone enough to drop $50 on it.

On the flip side, if you liked the original, this sequel pretty much builds upon it and doesn't change a whole lot. There are a lot of different games to keep you busy, and the Wii MotionPlus accessory really shows how accurate it can make the Wii Remote - it's just a shame that it took three years after the Wii's release for the Wii to be capable of what it originally promised.

7.5/10