Fossil Fuels

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
The price of gas and oil is high, and Hurricane (Rita?) is going to hit Texas, apparently that is 25% of where we get our oil. If Texas gets raped like planned, oil is going to go even higher.

When we first started using oil the ratio was 20:1 (20 gathered 1 used to get it)

Now I read it is either 5:1 or 2:1.
Coal and Exhaust is bad for the environment.
Right now the fossil fuels has the world in a choke-hold, and when we run out the world won't know what to do. I've heard everywhere from 10 years left to 300 years left.

Either way you can't stop the inevitable that we will run out unless someone invents something to duplicate fossil fuels.
-

Wind energy- the majority of the US has enough potential to use this and have it work economically. The catch? Giant windmills everywhere you look.

Solar Energy- no waste, works, no catch I can think of other that it doesn't work as good as fossil fuels.

Nuclear Energy- Monitored 24/7 for safety precautions, supposedly statistically less likely for an accident than getting struck by lightning. But if it does blow up or something, it really hurts.

Then of course you have hyrdoelectric energy and geothermal...the bad thing about geothermal is that its hard to get from deep in the earth, takes a long time, and spends a lot of energy to get.

So do you think US/World should start converting now so we'll be ready later?

Last edited:

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
yes.

here on PEI, there are plans to start converting to wind energy in the next ten years.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
I don't think the US, the biggest fossil fuel consumer, will change its ways.
Another bad thing about that is that all the pollution we make drifts to other countries.

D

Don Francisco

"I don't think the US, the biggest fossil fuel consumer, will change its ways."

Even if congress never does anything (which is very unlikely due to pressure from environmental groups and public consensus), it eventually would. Once it is cheaper for industry to use alternate fuel methods, they will change.

E

egonboy

Yes but by the time they switch will it not be to late? Its hard to try to find another fuel source when you either don't have one or if you still do even only the rich have access to it. Its very hard to build things when everyone is used to gas powered machines doing all the work when there is no gas for those machines to use or the gas that would be used is to expencive to be considered. We might get to the point of no return until people learn how to do manual labor again and build up out of the ashes of our old society. Although thats just one potentual way for things to go that I forsee.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Well, when we eventually make the switch to full blown wind/solar/hydro power, fuel will barely be used, especially by the consumer. All consumer products would be electric powered.

E

egonboy

Yes but if we don't make that switch until fuel gets upto 500 dollars just to fill up your car we might end up in trouble on even working on the other fuel sources.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Well, vehicles would really be the hardest part of a nation wide cross to a free energy solution (not really but close as we'll get), and until that market catches up, the government could always just raise taxes and provide free public transportation.

E

egonboy

Yes that may work for other goverment but I doubt the american goverment would do that maybe free transit for the rich but not for all.

D

Don Francisco

Free transit for the rich but not for all? What are you smoking? Have you heard of city buses? Have you heard of subways?
It's not like we need to begin from scratch when we decide to switch. Science works differently from industry. There are research-driven companies out there perfecting solar energy collection, hydrogen fuel cells etc. (trust me, I've been to the world expo 2005 in Japan, which focuses on a healthier environment - the stuff some companies are working on (especially Toyota) is frickin' amazing). When industry chooses to move (or, more likely, is forced to by congress), the means will be readily accessible.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

egonboy

currently busses are not free but if gas costs alot bus prices will go up and if anyone gets anything for free in this contrey its the rich.

Inept

ChuChu
Sep 24, 2005
the problem is that there isn't a reasonable place to refuel these new energy cars. this whole thing is just screwed. there is no reasonable solution that could possibly not take way too much effort or time to make it something the government would actually do.

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
with any luck we'll just nuke humanity come WW3 and we wont have to worry about fuel or pollution or the environment anymore. thats your reasonable solution. seriously though. back to the future has the answer. garbage -> fuel.

E

egonboy

Yeah I'm hoping for a big nuke myself or more hurricans when a hurrican the size of seven states hits you know mother nature is pissed.

D

Don Francisco

First off, "if anyone gets anything for free in this contrey its the rich." There's so many things wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin.
Of course buses are not free you dumb shit. They need to pay for gas and other expenses, too.
There isn't a reasonable place to fuel up these cars? No kidding there isn't now, there's none of those cars! As cars hit the market, entrepreneurs will provide pumps.
The government SHOULDN'T do anything, of course they will. You guys act as if business and government are here to screw people over.
Egon and friends, get your heads out of your asses and while youre at it, learn how to spell. Oh, and take that picture of Stalin down from your wall.

E

egonboy

I suddenly get the feeling that this forum will provide endless hours of fun now.

When I brought up free transit you brought up buses. And as you state now they are not free. And I doubt they will become free.

The cars have been hitting the market my schools drivers ed cars are all hybreds but gas stations are still dragging their feet.

And as for my picture its not Stalin its Lenin cause he was a little less nutzo hes framed right next to Marx and Rasputin.

Inept

ChuChu
Sep 24, 2005
would you drive a car that you couldn't refuel?
do you think it'd be a sound investment to provide fuel for cars that no one drives?

Inept

ChuChu
Sep 24, 2005
and if you think buisinesses aren't trying to screw us over, take a look at the petroleum industry.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Electric cars are good, but lack the power. Around here with all the mountains and stuff, I don't think they'd be powerful enough to go up and down them all the time. America is too dependent on Oil as is. Heating, gas, etc etc. And as most of the oil is imported, it really is our weakness if those countries wanted to hurt us. And since Oil won't be around forever, I think it's time we started looking for other sources of energy.

Government in itself is nothing more than a business. A business nor Government doesn't care about how people feel. All they care about is the money. You could be shit depressed, but if they are getting their money they don't care. However, they act like they care because that is what helps pull people into giving them money. Act like a friend, act like a neighbor, brother, whatever. Look on the TV at all the commercials. "Statefarm", "Allstate", "Mastercard", pretty much everytime someone is trying to sell you something, there is a bunch of smiling faces and telling you how much they care about you. It gives people a false sense of reality. Do you ever go to walmart and see a bunch of smiling young teens working or even shopping there? Not usually. Hell, they always have that old guy getting you your shopping cart as soon as you walk in the door, with the look on his face like he is just begging to be killed. In reality, no business cares about you. No government cares about you. They'll just do what they can, as cheap as they can, to get your money.