Final Fantasy XIII-2

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Boring! God damn.

I'm one of the apparently very few people who really enjoyed FF13. Not one of the best in the franchise, but still a really fun game. But I really couldn't get into 13-2, at all. Managed to crawl my way to the end but wow.

NOEL WE CAN CHANGE THE FUTURE
SERAH LET'S CHANGE THE FUTURE
NOEL DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE FUTURE
OK SERAH BUT FIRST LET'S CHANGE THE FUTURE
NOEL WE HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE PAST, THEN WE CAN CHANGE THE FUTURE
Kupo-po!

Did have some pretty good music, though. Occasionally. Caius's theme was good.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
lol i played 10 minutes of that game, compared to the 100 i spent grinding on XIII.

XIII-3 looks kinda neat though...

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
You didn't miss a whole lot.

Serah dies at the end.

Presumably the point of Lightning Returns is for Lightning to do some time travel and stop it, or something.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Lightning Returns does like pretty rad though

Yeah I basically just want to play dress up with Lightning

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
WOAH WE GOT SPOILERS. Not that I was ever going to beat it after playing it about as much as Logan did.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Spoilers: Serah and Noel go back to the future

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
FF13 and FF12 really only main FF's I haven't liked, although I want to give FF12 another shot if it comes out on PS3/PS4. FF13 was ok I guess but I hated the voice acting and the characters. Only good character really was the black guy with the baby chocobo. I wish FF would just make a traditional FF again instead of trying to innovate needlessly. Mixed in with how long it took them to make FF13, I would say it one of my biggest disappointments.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
FF12's one of my favorites. I can see why a lot of people don't really like it, but I loved it. Once you get past the first couple hours and it becomes The Balthier and Basch Show it's awesome.

It was kinda weird how they billed Vaan as the main character even though, again, after the first few hours he barely does anything at all. You can tell who's an important character in that game based on Who Talketh Like A Shakespeare Play.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I loved 12 too, the plot was simple compared to all of this "TEENAGER WITH NICE HAIR SAVES THE WORLD" stuff they've been doing. As a matter of fact, after grinding on it for like 150 hrs with hunts and stuff, I didn't even remember why I was fighting whoever you fought at the end.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
I'm pretty sure it was because they wanted to free their country from the Empire and the bad guy was being kind of a dick about it.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
And he was also tripping balls on too much Nethicite

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I think my main problem was that FF12 came out near the end of the PS2 lifespan and I believe I already had Xbox 360 by that point so part of my problem was going back to PS2 and seeing them god awful graphics (especially once hooked up to HDTV where you couldn't even read anything anymore). Also PS2 era was probably where I spent the least amount of time playing any games so that might have had something to do with it too.

In comparison I had a PS2 and maybe 10-12 games at most. Whereas the Xbox 360 I must have at least 60+ games, and the N64 I had close to 40+ (just ask Logan about my huge bag lol).

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah I guess the graphics thing can be pretty jarring going back to PS2. Though TBH I plugged in my PS2 about 18 months ago and relived some old classics, including KH2 and FF12, and didn't really have a problem with it. Though KH2 largely holds up 'cause it's all stylized and junk. Oh yeah that game is awesome but the fucking opening goes on for like 6 hours.

I read somewhere that SE would consider redoing FF12 if the FF10/10-2 remake sells well - though I have no idea whether that was official or just internet bullshit.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
FF12 was so great. Them quickenings didn't make a damn bit of sense to me at first but at the later levels I'd make that shit go on for an eternity and I was all

:cadillac:

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
I never did get the final quickening ending move. Think it was called Black Hole. Can't imagine it would've been worth bothering with when you got max level dudes rocking the zodiac spear and ultima blade.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Do we think FF15 will be any good? I vote nehhhhh.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
As long as nobody tells me I can save the fucking future

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
What about saving the past?!

Seriously though, after Final Fantasy 11, when Square merged with Enix, I really haven't enjoyed any of Square's titles. Maybe the DS remakes of FF3 and 4 as they were pretty good, but Final Fantasy 12-14 have been meh. Everyone else seems to hate Final Fantasy 10 and 11 though.

Kingdom Hearts is really the only other series I can think of that I somewhat enjoyed but even then it felt more of a disney game than a Square Enix game since 75%+ of everything is just disney related. I remember being pretty disappointed about that in Kingdom Hearts 1, and I never finished Kingdom Hearts 2 but it was more of the same from what I played. The 3DS Kingdom Hearts was awful and I never even got close to beating it.

I have a PS4 and all, but I'm not really excited about Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy 15.

Last edited: