Ffiv-vi

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
oldschool FF

Ever played them? If not you should at least try them out. Don't like the graphics? Suck it up. Its history and deserves tribute.

I actually got really far in FFI as a lone red mage. I was using a mod and could go triple speed, which makes the game a lot more playable. I still remember buying FFI from the mall when I was a little kid.

I myself have yet to play or see FFII and III. Someday. I heard they just sucked hard though. Don't take me up on that.

I played V on vacation a week ago. Reminds me of an oldschool FF with the FFT class system. It has a rather corny early story, but I didn't get very far in it. Very interesting and worth a try.

FFIV and VI both have most excellent stories and gameplay and are well worth playing through. VI's esper magic system slightly resembles the materia system which may I say made FFVII so great IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Final Fantasy VI is my 7th favorite game of all time. I didn't play too much of IV or V, though.

Take care, Sabin!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I never understood what was so great about ff6. It just didn't do anything for me.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
meh, I liked them, VI was my favorite, but chrono trigger was way better, IMO.

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
CT's battle system is superior by far than any other square game. Its in a way like tactics, but more fixed.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Let's see:

Story & characters: I'm sorry, but FFVI had great characters, and a powerful story. I actually gave a shit about what would happen to the characters, and I gave a shit about Locke and Rachel/Ceres. FFVII's characters pail in comparison. Cloud was an emo bitch pussy, and Sephiroth is the most over-rated villain of all time. I didn't care about Cait Sith or Yuffie. Barrett was the worst Mr. T impersonation I've ever seen. Vincent was just about the only cool guy in the game.

Graphics: Yes, FFVII is 3D and FFVI is not. However, FFVI has amazing 2D graphics, with colorful sprites and nicely done backgrounds. FFVII almost made my eyes bleed, so, to me, FFVI has better graphics.

Music: The FFVI main theme is the shit. End of story.

Gameplay: FFVI was much more open-ended and challenging than FFVII was. The battle systems in the two games are similar, what with Materia and Espers and such.

All in all I just found FFVI to be a fantastic game, and FFVII to be incredibly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, it's just nowhere close to FFVI's calibur. Most people whose first RPG wasn't FFVII will agree with me.

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
mobius knows what he's talking about. it really is that much better. Even the graphics part. 2D can be good, and next to maybe cronotrigger, ffvi had the best 2d rpg graphics. The characters all had different facial expressions and emotions unique to each. FFVII's graphics were fine except the characters.

And the music was catchy, although music is sorta biased to each person. As far as rpg music goes, a part of the appreciation for the music comes from having the connection of the song to the character. It was good stuff though. I can sit and listen to kefkas theme all day. I actually bought FFI-X sheet music for the piano and everyone said the music sucked, but I liked it just because I knew something about the song they didn't.

I enjoyed the gameplay equally. Both have supurb battle and magic stystems. And both had lots and lots and lots of easter eggs and extra quests. The characters are just so much better in FFVI though. Its hard for me to say which game is better, but I really enjoyed both. They're easily my favorites mostly because I like espers and materia so much.

On a side note, doesn't FFI's and FFV's story seem similar?

D

Don Francisco

I actually liked FF2 a lot. I never got around to beating it (I really should...) but I got close to the end. I don`t know what it is with me getting to the very end of RPGs and then stopping.
I also got pretty far in FFIV. That was fun. Cecil is TEH MAN. The whole part where he turns from dark knight to paladin is awesome. Fuck FFVII, they should remake that part with PS3 graphics. Not to mention it has the spoony bard!!!!11
I should play FFVI when I have more time.