Comic Books

Andrew

Internet Rage Machine
Feb 7, 2007
So I was watching a dvd 4 pack of the 90s batman movies (batman, returns, robin, and forever) when I got to thinking about how people see comics today.

So, whats your opinion on comics today, and do you think comics have any true depth to them?

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
So, whats your opinion on comics today
I like 'em.

and do you think comics have any true depth to them?
Yup.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
20100512.gif

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Loooooooool.

I never got into comics. I read that Mass Effect comic series and it was cool though.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I haven't read nearly as many as I would like, and I actually don't own any comics. I just download them all. I've read pretty much everything with Silver Surfer and Deadpool, two of my favourite characters. Plus The Planet Hulk and Civil War story arcs in the Marvel Universe. Here are my recommendations:

The Dark Knight Returns
A great story about Batman's later years, when he comes back out of retirement for one last fight with the Joker.

Watchmen
I'm sure you are all familiar with the Watchmen story. If you enjoyed the film, you'll like the original even more.

Preacher
A texas preacher gets possessed by a angel/demon hybrid, and goes on a search to find God. He has to fight off all kinds of demons and junk, good stuff.

Sandman
This one's hard to summarize, so I'll let the author do it: "The Lord of Dreams learns that one must change or die, and makes his decision."

Marvel Civil War
Theres a mishap where some super heroes accidentally kill some people, and the US government decides that super heroes need to be policed and and handled. Tony Stark takes the side of the government, and tries to persuade everyone to join. Joining would mean that you would submit your secret identity to the government, and they would decide where you fight crime. Captain America leads the opposition, believing that the government shouldn't have ultimate control.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
and SAB brings up a good point, it's not that I'm opposed to reading a comic book, but the task of driving to a comic book store and actually buying them is kind of off-putting. Especially considering there are only like 2 around here while living in a decent sized city.

Any comics I've read I've downloaded as well, it's a lot easier. I think they should lean more on digital distribution, like that upcoming L4D comic they're going to make. Seems like the whole comic book store culture is kind of dying, a lot like video rental places.

Andrew

Internet Rage Machine
Feb 7, 2007
I agree that driving 20-30 minutes into Greenville is a little much, but nothings better then flipping those pages of a comic you got held in your hand. Plus, comics have an collecting value to them. If you could have downloaded Action Comics #1, how could it be worth half a million dollars today?

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, but now that's arguing the semantics of collecting and enjoying. I have an SNES and I could find a copy of Final Fantasy VI for it on eBay or somewhere similar. That'd be more valuable than just playing it on an emulator and it'd be kind of neat, but it doesn't offer a different experience.

Unless you're collecting them, the only advantage a paper comic would have over a downloaded one would be the ability to read it whilst dumping, and the advent of laptops has evened that ground as well.

Andrew

Internet Rage Machine
Feb 7, 2007
Nothing seems better, to me at least, than having the comic in front of you. Digital seems like just a downgrade to the quality of reading the comic.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
Why do you buy seasons of House, logan? You can just download them.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
meh, bought one a long time ago, might as well keep the streak alive.