Bulletstorm (does your insurance cover this?)

LordDVS

Game Connoisseur
Mar 3, 2011
So I recently played through the solo campaign of a lesser know game called Bulletstorm. Most people are probably unfamiliar with this title, because its not a major FPS like say, Halo or Call of Duty. And the publisher EA figured as much, so they sold the game with the bait of getting in the Gears of War 3 Beta with it's purchase. This is reminicent of similar ploys played out in the past, like Crackdown came with a Halo 3 Beta offer, and early PS2 days saw a Zone of Enders packed in with a Metal Gear Solid 2 demo.

I am not a FPS freak, I'm more of a casual gamer, so I could care less about the GoW3 beta. I was initially sold on the games colorful (read: vulgar) attempts to sell itself as a unique, fun, and memorable shooter. For what it's worth, they succeeded at that. But this game is far from perfect. Most shooters today share many similar online features, many taken for granted. One being, co-op mode for the main campaign was missing from this title. I think of Gears of War, Halo, or Borderlands when I recall fun times running through a game with a friend. Bulletstorm not having said feature, lost a lot of points with me, because it took away that casual sense of fun. There is a multiplayer mode (Anarchy) to have some co-op fun in, but it requires some serious team work (read: get a mic and talk, or fail) and lacks playability.

The main game mechanics are fun, awesome even! It's like you took the comboing of a Tony Hawk game, and slapped it onto a shooter. The story won't make a movie any time soon (or then again, it may), but it's the mayhem that makes it worth playing. It is an enjoyable experience, but I wouldn't suggest a purchase. Rent or Gamefly it, if it's something you may want to experience. I'll probably mess around with it til Crysis 2 comes out.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Great!

I have this game sitting here, I suppose I should give it another GO.

LordDVS

Game Connoisseur
Mar 3, 2011
I wish I had started the solo campaign on Very Hard, could have knocked out those achievements already. Think I'll just focus on the online parts this weekend, and the Echos mode. That's actually pretty fun, as it's just bite-sized chunks of the main game, to rack up crazy points in. I really should be getting back to MVC3 though...

Dreamer

Deckard
Mar 2, 2011
I thought it was alright, but yeah i wouldn't put it against all the other great games coming out this year.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I'm playing it right now, it's OK. Glad I didn't buy it!

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I just beat this game. It's the most Wal-Mart grade game I've ever played. It was a very pretty game, I'll give it that, but it was pretty boring and vanilla overall.

They need some work on encounter/mission design as this game had terrible pacing. About 40 percent of the time it was really interesting and fun, yet the other 60 percent was just a tromp through the same ol shooter shit we've seen a million times.

It's a solid 6/10.

LordDVS

Game Connoisseur
Mar 3, 2011
I just beat this game. It's the most Wal-Mart grade game I've ever played. It was a very pretty game, I'll give it that, but it was pretty boring and vanilla overall.

They need some work on encounter/mission design as this game had terrible pacing. About 40 percent of the time it was really interesting and fun, yet the other 60 percent was just a tromp through the same ol shooter shit we've seen a million times.

It's a solid 6/10.

That was my experience. It had it's own "voice", but really, it was nothing we haven't seen before. The only online portion of the game, is a chore unless you are playing with friends/competent players. I've been hearing of players just doing that aspect solo now, to save on frustration. The solo campaign was interesting, but like you said, the pacing is kinda awkward. It wasn't a crappy game, it just wasn't an outstanding game. More modes, or even just a simple co-op campaign would have raised my opinion on this.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Plus I didn't like the open ended ending which basically means BULLETSTORM 2!

I wanted some closure god damnit.

LordDVS

Game Connoisseur
Mar 3, 2011
Yeah, that was overly cheesy and cliched. Oh well, maybe if they do make a sequel, they will work harder on it.