Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
This game is soon. :O

I hope I get to make some good laws and be the policemans.

I am tempted to preorder the 3DS XL bundle (thats a link) too since I want an all white 3ds. :(

Lulu

Kupo!
Nov 9, 2011
Well it looks neat, but Idk if the 3DS suits ya a whole lot. Kinda more on the girly side ya know?

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
i can replace that cover with my blue one

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GAME SINCE LIKE 2011 I'M SO READY TO FUCKING PLAY AND FISH AND SWIM TO ISLANDS AND HOLY SHIT I LOVE AC

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
This game is easily the best in the series, and it seems like making money is way easier but I'm not really sure as I always cheated before. I gonna post some cool stuff for future reference:

To unlock QR Code: Talk to Sable for seven days in a row.
Final Fantasy Outfits: We Made A Bunch Of Final Fantasy Outfits For Animal Crossing: New Leaf | Siliconera
Mega Man: Rockman Corner: Custom Mega Man Themed Designs for 'Animal Crossing: New Leaf'
Naruto: QR Codes Photos by xRaikouShinobix | Photobucket
Wide Variety: Animal Crossing New Leaf QR-Code Collection
Wide Variety: all the food is poison, cherucheru: With Animal Crossing just around the...
Wide Variety: Photo Album - Imgur

Multiple Towns on the same Digital Download

Ok, so I'm playing New Leaf on the same 3ds as my girlfriend. We each want a town, and I had assumed a digital download + multiple sd cards would allow for this. It appears that an error is thrown up if you swap out SD cards, though, disallowing you to load any save other than the most recent save file.

So. I started poking around the contents of the SD card, and I was able to locate the 2 folders AC creates. They are numbered, rather than human readable names, so I had to go by creation date on the folders to deduce the correct ones.

If you open your SD card on your Mac/PC, you'll notice 2 folders. Ignore private & open the numbered directory. After clicking through another numbered sub-folder, you'll see 3 sub-directories.

dbs
extdata
title

There will be 1 folder you'll need from within extdata & title. Looking inside extdata, click through the solitary numbered directory & you'll see groups of folders that each begin with a series of 0s. The folder I needed was called '00000863'. Not sure if this will be the same for everyone, but go by creation date, to be sure (If your first save was early this morning, the creation date of the folder will match).

Then, move back out to the "title" folder, navigate two levels further & locate the similarly named folder that you found in extdata (here, mine is called '00086300').

Copy both above directories to your machine and insert your 2nd sd card. Pull the same data from that card & you've got backups of both of your towns on your computer. To switch to an older save or different town, just replace the 2 folders on your active sd card (the one you'll be inserting into your 3DS) with the backup folders from your computer. Be sure to back up your latest files before overwriting the live card to avoid losing any data.

If your in a similar situation as me, or if you just want to have multiple towns on one 3DS, this method will work without the need of purchasing a second copy of the game & you only need 1 SD card.

Oobs

meh...
Dec 16, 2010
The best way to make money I found is that once you unlock the island, fill your take home box with beetles (not the little green ones). You can easily make 100k+ and if you are willing to wait a long time for the really good ones then you can make like 400-500k

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I made a boatload off fishing on the island (the bigger fish and sharks), getting 100k off a little more than a dozen of those. Which beetles are the best?

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
THIS GAME IS SO CUTE isabelle is so cute my town is so cute the music is so cute cute cute cute cute cute

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
how did ya get rich? I havent played all day cause E3

doing what you said - went to the island and focused on the beetles except the little green ones and then I just kept an eye out for sharks and fished those up - each of those around 10,000-15,000 each. Around 7pm seems to be a good time to find sharks and a lot of beetles.

I made like 400k+ in one trip which took me maybe 30 minutes or so. Only shitty part is when you get back trying to sell everything since you have to go back and forth but this depends on how far your dock is from your shop. I wish your inventory could be increased.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I remember in an older AC game I used to use the letter slots as temporary inventory space, storing items as gifts on letters. That still possible in this one?

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
I remember in an older AC game I used to use the letter slots as temporary inventory space, storing items as gifts on letters. That still possible in this one?

It is! But it's really convenient because they have like this "locker" system. Where ever you store things, it can be accessed throughout your town. At the train station, your home with a dresser, on the island, etc

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Ok, I found the best way to make money is go to the island right after 7PM (or really anytime between 7pm-5am) and cut down all the trees in the middle of the island and the 4 palm trees on the south end of the island since they are harder to sneak up on. Trample all the flowers as this spawns butterflies that you do not want. You can then return the axe to the gyroid, and just keep the fishing rod and net.

But with just the palm trees, you should get all the good beetles now. Make sure the run off any other bugs you find since the game has a limit on how many bugs it spawns. Also if you see a shark fish those up since they way more than any of the bugs. Overall this makes it a lot easier to make money off the island since you don't have to worry about the crappy bugs that spawn on the trees in the middle.

I was able to get 3 of the golden stags within 5 minutes, and a lot of other stuff. The biggest pain is still taking all of these bugs to the shop, but I made around 450-500k doing this once last night.

BTW the trees don't grow back, so you'll have to replant the ones in the middle if you ever want to catch the bugs for the museum.

Last edited:

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
ALSO, for those who want more fruits, you can go on tours like the fishing and bug catching ones and press DOWN on the dpad to unequip your item which you can then shake the trees to get fruit. The fruit for each tour is random, however it doesn't seem to spawn any normal fruit (apples, pears, etc). Just tropical fruit. I wish there were more ways to get fruit in this game, but so far this is it, besides going to random people's cities or maybe getting lucky on the online islands.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Ok the thing on page 1 about having two towns on one digital download by swapping saves back and forth from PC a big crock of POO as I found out last night.

The 3DS somehow saves an encryption key every time you save your AC game which gets changed/incremented every time as well. As far as I can tell, it doesn't save it to the SD card, so it must be some RAM/ROM chip inside the system that keeps this data. If you try to load back a previous save, you will get an "UNABLE TO USE LAST SAVE. DELETE DATA?" error. As far as I know Animal Crossing is the only game to use this protection (pokemon probably will too). Obviously it is to prevent you from giving your friends your money, rolling back your save, and having double the money.

Live and learn.