An oldie, but my Ghostbusters The Video Game Review

SonOfStayPuft

Deku Sprout
Jun 2, 2011
ghostbusters_xbox360_box_art_300.jpg

When There’s Something Strange, In The Neighborhood…Who Ya Gonna Call?

MASTER CHIEF!

No wait, that wasn’t right, let’s try again…

MARCUS FENIX!

Wait a second, there’s a Ghost in my PC.

*Cue flashing noises and screaming*

Right that’s sorted.The pesky Poltergheist is now trapped in my Xbox 360.

Let’s Try again…GHOSTBUSTERS!

That’s better!
After a change in 3 Publishers, with Atari finally picking up the licence in late 2008, Ghostbusters The Video Game finally hit stores in June 2009 (or October in Europe) to coincide with the 25th Anniversary of the First Movie, and the release on Blu Ray, to much acclaim and praise from Reviewers around the world.

That’s not to say that there has been a bit of contraversy surrounding the June Release, what with Sony buying up the Exclusive Rights, to release the PS3 and PS2 versions first, with only American 360 owners getting the rights at the same time.But Microsoft hit back, making their version Region Free, meaning people in good old Blighty could import it.

Set in 1991, 2 years after the events of Ghostbusters 2, Ray, Pete, Egon and Winston are now loved by New York City, and are back in business full time and are sent out to investigate the huge PKE Surge that has hit the city. But Mayor Jock Mulligan has decided as due to the fact that the ‘Busters are sometimes a bit erratic (I’d hate to have seen the bill from the Sedgewick Hotel), he is putting their biggest enemy and pain in charge, the ever annoying and crotchless Walter Peck. You also encounter a mysterious Female first spotted in the opening cutscene, Dr. Ilyssa Selwyn, the Museum Curator, who warns the Ghostbusters that Ivo Shandor, the Architect who designed 55 Central Park West that was once used to summon Gozer, had also designed a network of tunnels to channel Ectoplasmic Slime through the city.

Due to the fact that the Ghostbusters are now so succesful, and very much in demand, Egon has decided to invest in some new Equipment, but with it being so new, he decides they hire a new guy to test said equipment. This is where you come in. Only known as Rookie, Hoss or Scooter, you play a Mute 5th Member of the team who gets to Bust some Beings, and Catch some Spirits, whilst using the array of new Pack Upgrades, the Shock Blaster, a Meson Collider, and a positively-charged Slime Blower, each with an alternate firing mode (A Stasis Stream, Overload Pulse and a Slime Tether) The Slime Blower’s alternative mode is a Slime Tether which can be used to pull objects together and to solve some environmental puzzles.
By capturing ghosts, as well as identifying haunted artifacts and new species of ghosts using the PKE Meter, players earn in-game money to spend on upgrades to proton pack modes and ghost traps.

You start the game back in the Firehouse, which acts a Training Mission, where Dr Stanz takes you into the Basement to train you how to catch a Ghost.

Once you’ve got the hang of wranglin' in a Spirit to your Trap, the pesky little Spud Slimer breaks out of the Containment Grid, and decides to head back to his old Haunting Ground, The Sedgewick Hotel. Yep, you have to return there and cause more destruction (It’s ok though guys, the damage will come out of the Mayor’s Insurance Policy.Go ahead, blast those Flowers that Venkman left Standing) in order to catch old Onionhead again. That then leads to the next mission, in Times Square, where you encounter another Old Friend, and one of Ray’s Childhood memories, Mr Stay Puft.

The game follows the same path during the game until the ‘Busters decide to check out the New York Cemetary once and for all and find out what Ivo Shandor has been cooking up all along.

Being a Ghostbuster? Check. Catching Ghosts? Check. Hilarious One Liners from Peter? Check. Yep this game covers all areas in how to feel like a Kid again.

Once you get the hang of the Stream, it’s fun, and makes you feel a part of the team which is what every Ghostbusters fan growing up dreamt of doing.This never EVER gets boring and is so enjoyable during Multiplayer on Xbox Live especially during the Slime Dunk Mode, especially during the other modes when everyone is working together.It takes a bit of getting used to but when Mastered, it’s excellent.More fun than throwing a Pokeball!

The Authenticity is absolute perfection and a joy for Ghostbusters fans as Dan Akroyd, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson all reprise their roles (with Dan and Harold teaming up again to write the Script for the game) as Ray Stanz, Egon Spengler, Peter Venkman and Winston Zeddemore, along with Annie Potts and William Atherton returning as Janine Melnitz and Walter Peck. Sure people might sick of hearing the theme during the loading screens, but I don’t.The voices, the graphics and the little attention to detail right down to Louis Tully’s GB Jumpsuit from his short lived “career” as a Ghostbuster in GB2 in the Firehouse are here.Even the music from the film is in, right down to the dramatic music from Ghostbusters where you are sprinting to save Venkman.

The Gameplay is also a joy to play, despite the issues which I’ll get to later, and whether you’re scanning Ghosts, Bustin’ them or just blasting everything in sight, there’s always something to do. Plus there’s also Cursed Artifacts scattered around the level and Water Fountains to find to help keep you busy, if you weren’t already!

I love using the PKE for finding Cursed Artifacts, and Scanning Ghosts etc and it’s fun, and adds to the longevity of the game.

I’m also a HUGE fan of the Multiplayer, and despite being the Highest Rank, I’m still addicted to it. Everything about this works.Yeah it’s frustrating when your teammate(s) run in front of your beam, but there’s so many different modes and each are definetly so much fun, and the ranking system is a nice touch too.You get New Uniforms etc when you go up every other rank.See someone in a nicer newer Uniform than you? Work Harder!

That said, the game does have it’s flaws.

I think some people would feel short changed that there’s not much Longevity. It’s a shame this game is only 8 hours long (maybe 10 if you are after everything), and the story feels a little rushed towards the end.

I also get frustrated with Reventing at the most important moments. Fair enough, you have an Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator strapped to your back, but it just feels like it overheats to easy and it’s bloody annoying when you’re about to catch a Ghost and you get the Sound and Vibration to let you know it’s time to cool down, especially when you want that extra bit of cash in Multiplayer.

I’m also a little disappointed with the Lip Synching sometimes as it feels disjointed.

Overall, Ghostbusters The Video Game is a damn enjoyable game and should be experienced.From the level of Authenticity, to the Mulitplayer, there’s something here for everyone to love, and sure, it’s not going to win any awards, but Terminal Reality haven’t tried to accomplish that. They want fans of the film, new and old, to experience what it’s like to strap on a Proton Pack and Catch some Ghosts.

“Bust” yourself away from your other games, and get “Trapped” in GB: TVG!

8/10

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Hey this is a good review. Travis should put it on the site!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
like always, if permission is granted from the OP, I will definitely post on the website.