3DS First Impression

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
Well, I had to run to Best Buy for an interview today, and while I was there I had some time to fiddle with the 3DS Kiosk they had on display. The game they were demoing was Pilot Wings Resort.

At first when I picked it up I thought something was wrong with it. I couldn't see the image very clearly at all. Then I tried holding it close to my face and the image was still distorted and almost...faded. Then I tried holding the system at half of my arms length from my face and it hit me. The 3D effect is amazing.

It may just be this particular game, but the 3D effect had more to do with depth than things popping out at you. Instead of a flat screen it really looked like you were flying TOWARD something. There were small effects here and there that seemed to pop out a you such as jet streams and such.

Please note however if you wear glasses or contacts you'll probably need to remove them to get the full effect. While I was wearing my glasses I could still make out the 3D effects but not nearly as well as when I took them off.

The build quality of the unit was surprising. The online images make it look like a cheap toy, but it actually has some heft to it and it felt really solid. On the flip side the glossy blue finish on the unit was NOT as good looking as the promotional images make it out to be, and it looked almost like a shiny blue unit covered in glitter. Kind of distracting, actually.

PSP owners, you know how annoying the analog nub is on the PSP? The one on the 3DS is much, much better. It's much larger than the PSP analog nub and is positioned at a much more comfortable angle. It's really easy to use and pretty intuitive.

All in all, I was pretty impressed by it. The 3D effect is pretty damned cool. Put some more killer app games on it and I'm sold.

tl;dr version:

I tried the 3DS today.

Pros:
+ 3D effect is really, really cool
+ Nice build quality
+ Comfortable controls

Cons:
- Blue finish is downright ugly
- You have to hold the 3DS at a perfect length and angle to get the 3D effect
- 3D doesn't work too well with glasses or contacts

Last edited:

Chris

Sweet Little Lies
Jan 15, 2011
allthatshit.jpg

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
Did you toggle the 3D switch any?

Fuck 3D I JUST WANT NEW GAEMS

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
your monthly reminder

[video=youtube;kN1Om_Jpog4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN1Om_Jpog4[/video]

:tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom:

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
Did you toggle the 3D switch any?

Fuck 3D I JUST WANT NEW GAEMS

Yeah. With the 3D off it still looks good graphically. Pretty much on par with the Wii. But don't knock it 'til you try it, the 3D is awesome!

But seriously, WHY DO WE NOT HAVE A :jordan:?

Also,
[video=youtube;nWDhcu6Jems]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWDhcu6Jems[/video]

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I'm very worried about not being able to see the 3D. And if I have to play without my glasses, I won't be able to see shit, even just at mid arm distance.

Casey

I'M A GAY SON!
Nov 10, 2003
I'm very worried about not being able to see the 3D. And if I have to play without my glasses, I won't be able to see shit, even just at mid arm distance.

I'm in the same boat. I can't see anything with out my glasses. If I hold something an arms length away I have to look through my glasses. But even with glasses I can't see shit, so I have to hold the psp about 4 inches from my face to see it clearly. But at that point its too close and I have to look at it from under the rim of my glasses.

I'm fucking blind.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
3D EXPERIENCE RUINED FOR HALF THE FANBASE

1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

That picture gets me every time.

But even without the 3D, who wouldn't want a portable version of Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid 3?

Chris

Sweet Little Lies
Jan 15, 2011
I'm in the same boat. I can't see anything with out my glasses. If I hold something an arms length away I have to look through my glasses. But even with glasses I can't see shit, so I have to hold the psp about 4 inches from my face to see it clearly. But at that point its too close and I have to look at it from under the rim of my glasses.

I'm fucking blind.

I'm legally blind without my contacts.

:csb: