welp

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
So, things are not great for us right now... not sure what we will do. On paper it looked like we could afford the place we are renting, although it would be a bit tight. In practice, though, it seems we just can't. We have three bills right now that we need to pay and just can't seem to get caught up on. We are able to meet all of our bi-weekly (loan payment, mortgage on our house back in PEI, and car payment) and all of our monthly bills (power, internet/TV, rent), but these other odd bills are just impossible for us right now. We recently had to put $1400 in my car for repairs, and we luckily were able to get our parents to help with that. Now we have to pay our water service bill back in PEI (about $200ish), our house insurance back on PEI ($350ish) and we will soon be getting our water bill here in Dartmouth (I have no idea how much this will be, I'm terrified to even think of it. I know the first bill is going to be the bill plus $300 deposit so probably like $500...)

I really just don't know what to do. We could try to sell our house back on PEI, but there is a tenant in there who signed a one year lease with us. Even if we could get the tenant out, we can't afford right now to go even one month paying both the mortgage on that and our rent here without a tenant paying rent.

We could try to get out of our one year lease here and move to a cheaper place in the city... but I don't know how difficult that would be, plus there would be moving expenses again.

Hell, maybe we should try to get out of our lease, sell most of our stuff, and then send my wife and kids back to PEI while I work here and either find a cheap apartment or find someone who needs a room mate.

If we didn't have some much damned debt we would be on easy street right now. I really just don't know what the future holds for us.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Damn them water bills are outrageous. I know all too well of being in a mountain of debt.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Damn, sorry to hear about it SAB. Hope everything straightens out, I know you're doing your best to make it work.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
FUCK. Just got a letter today saying our house insurance was cancelled due to non payment. We had about $350 left on the bill to pay, and I just managed to borrow $500 from my in laws this week. FUCK FUCK FUCK. I'm waiting for a call back from the insurance company now with a "reinstatement fee". God damn. Sometimes I wish I could just sell everything, quit my job, declare bankruptcy and just move our family back to PEI and live with my parents.

Sigh... I'm sure it will all work out.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
How far were you past due? Maybe you can sweet talk in waving the reinstatement fee.

But yeah, I love my house and it's cool to be so close to work and stuff, but I miss how much easier life was with the parents lol.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Far enough behind to get it cut off I guess, lol. They sent us a check for like $160 or something, whatever amount we had paid that wasn't used up yet. Tomorrow I'm paying the full reinstatement fee, which is essentially just paying the full price to have the coverage restarted fresh for a full year, $690. Sucky but meh, whatcha gonna do. Once I have that paid, there is only two more big bills for us to clear before we are back to normal, the water bill back on PEI which is now about 320, and the water bill here in Dartmouth which is about 450.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Man... it really just never ends. Just realized both my license and my plate/registration on my car expire next month and have to get both of those renewed and moved over to the new province. Have to do that, AND try to catch up on those water bills. Yeesh.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Hahahaha, all I can do is laugh. So remember that 5k my work gave me as moving expense? They told me anything I couldn't claim as moving expenses would be taxable to me and those taxes would need to be paid back within a year. That was fine, I knew I would be using a fair amount of that to get our old house ready to rent out and that I wouldn't be able to claim that as a moving expense, but it needed to be done. So, it turns out that instead of "one year from the move date" it was actually "within the calendar year of the move date." So my last three pays of this year (last friday and the next two pays) will be $300 short. WHAT GREAT TIMING. I've fiddled our budget around, and with having three pays this month I think we can still manage everything, but jeeze.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Are you paying the taxes back to the company? That seems weird to me.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I'm paying taxes on the money they gave me that I didn't claim as moving expenses. I'm not paying the taxes to the company but to the government as if it was a gift or bonus I had received, the money they gave me that I claimed as moving expenses was tax free.